Monday, August 17, 2009

Home at last

I am sitting in my living room with Alex in the pack and play and Nicholas in the swing, both finally snoozing. I can't believe we have our family together for the first time. We can't thank everyone enough for all the support, prayers over these long months, even before the boys arrived. I've said this before but we just could not have gotten through this time without you, or at least not half as well.

We are in the very beginnings of adjusting to life at home with two newborns and I have to say as thrilled as we are, it is for sure very daunting. Somehow both boys are on the exact same schedule, literally crying within two minutes of eachother to be fed, changed, etc. Nicholas is still recovering from his surgery and seems uncomfortable at times still, I think our neighbors the next street over could even bear witness to that (yes he has really developed quite a set of lungs :) which our hearts are grateful for, but maybe our ears not so much right now, ha,ha.

We are already slowly trying to get them on slightly different schedules so its more manageable and trying to get the medication schedule organized as well. Actually the medication schedule for both of them is quite a job in itself, they are each on more than a half dozen medications and several of them have to be given up to four times a day at 4-6 hour intervals around the clock but we will get it down. And we hope that as time goes on, they won't need so many.

Mark and I are each taking shifts during the night which helps each both get a solid block of sleep but I am a bit stressed at the thought of overnights when he returns to work. Any parents of twins reading, I am sooo open to any tips or advice you can throw my way. (Thank you for all the comments and email suggestions about getting them on the same feeding schedule; I do hope to have them on the same schedule when they are a bit older but right now they have to feed sidelined due to choking and gagging issues per the NICU, but we are hopeful that they will outgrow this soon and it will make feeding time easier. )

Frankly I am hoping we win the lottery so we can both have the life of "leisure" at home. Notice I said leisure, ha,ha. No but seriously, we've already won the lottery and I know once we get into some sort of routine, things won't seem as overwhelming.

For now I know I will get through the unknown of this all by living minute to minute and thoroughly enjoying being able to have all my favorite guys in the very same place at the same time.

Its been a very long way to get here , 107 days to be exact but we are sooo happy to finally be starting this new chapter in our lives!

Saying goodbye to the NICU with our very own amazing miracles!!! Thank you to the wonderful, compassionate and dedicated NICU staff that not only only took such good care of our boys, but also their parents!!! We've met some very special people in this albeit difficult journey and we will never forget you!

Rolling out in their Cadillac (thank you again Alan, Connie, and Grandma Vidaurri--the boys are riding in style :)

Settling down at home

Guess the parents aren't the only ones exhausted!

Trying to get organized, these are the medication schedules for the boys. The nurses made these sweet little boxes for their meds, Those nicu nurses have many talents!


Leigh and Andy said...

I have goosebumps! I am so thrilled to hear that your family is complete at home! God is so good! I have no advice on twins, but I do remember that you saying that you have lots of friends and family that would love to let them!! :)

Pam said...

Yay!!!! :)

Missy said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you all! It is a bit of a shock to be home with them I know, but you'll get a rhythm going soon. My twin advice is not to break them from having the same schedule. It makes for a little chaos during feeding times, but it is totally do-able and gives you at least a fighting chance of getting some blocks of sleep. When my husband went back to work and I tried to do it all myself--without them on the same schedule--it was a train wreck. I literally crashed my car twice in a 48 hour period. No serious damage, but enough to get it through my sleep-deprived head that a change was needed. Best of luck! We'll be praying for you all!

John said...

Excellent news! Congratulations :-)

Abbysdad & Abbysmum

HappyAngelo said...

You may not know me, but I have an idea of what you went thru...I am a mother of now 7 mo Angelo (sp bifida). He is a gift to me, I'm realizing that now...

Congratulation!!! my prayers are with you