Monday, March 8, 2010


Life is getting a little easier every day. The oxygen monitor, well that definitely stinks as much as I remembered. It goes off all hours of the day/night and sends our adrenaline running but thankfully most of the time they are all false alarms. Alex is doing well, I think better every single day. He has more trouble in the morning keeping his sats up after laying down all night (even with the incline and humidifier, etc.) but we've just gotten into a new routine of getting him his nebulizer treatment first thing, doing all the pats on the back after to try to help him break up the congestion and letting him play upright until his bottle is ready. He is such a trooper. He found an extra benefit to the oxygen cord too. who knew?

The home nurse visited today and says he sounds a bit better already regarding his lungs so I feel very happy that we pushed to get him home when we did. He's definitely getting more rest here and mommy and daddy find it easier to tag team both boys when we can all be together (not to mention not having to stand guard at the hospital door every 20 minutes when someone wanted to wake Alex up for one thing or another)! His weight is still dropping just a bit, his appetite is still not where it was, but the nurse said it can take some time with this. Only four ounces difference between the boys now. I know, I know Alex certainly LOOKS like he has some "reserves" but believe it or not even when he's well, he eats quite a bit less than his brother and hey, we love his sweet chunky rolls!!!

Even when he's not feeling 100%, he still shares a smile!!!

Nicholas is also happy to have his brother and the whole family home. Its so sweet how they look for each other. Nicholas even recognizes the video monitor and looks for his brother on it when he hears his voice. Its really the most precious thing. 

Nicholas is doing well, still fighting his first cold. The nurse was able to reassure me that as congested as he sounds, its not moved into his lungs so I am feeling very thankful about that. Hopefully he will be feeling better in no time too. Even though he's been sick the last week, he decided it was time to do a new trick. We found him this morning in his crib sleeping on his belly. This means he has now figured out how to roll from his back to his belly instead of just from belly to back. Watch out world, I think this little one is going to wreak havoc once he's truly mobile, ha,ha.

I have to say again thank you for all the love and support and well wishes sent our way. It really  helped us get through a very stressful week. I can't believe it was just a week, seemed like forever when we were in the middle of it. Anyway a really HUGE thank you to my mom who was always where ever I needed her to be, even on her own birthday, there are not enough words to say thank you. A huge thank to my aunt as well. You've really been an extension of my own mom. Thank you for grocery shopping, helping at the house and supplying us with a healthy supply of all the coffee and food to help keep ourselves going. Also to Grandpa Fred, Grandma Karen, Vickie and my mom who all helped at the end of the week take care of Nicholas while Mark and I were really petering out doing around the clock at the hospital. We really can't thank you enough.

Also thank you to my amazing friends who all literally came running when I sent out an SOS email when I was feeling particularly weary. You definitely were exactly what I needed to recharge and I am blessed to have you in my life!!!!

Here's an older pic that I just thought was too sweet not to share.
Blessings to all!


caryanne said...

I am so relieved to hear that you are all home and on the mend. God, you have been through the ringer during the last week.

Spring arrives in just a few weeks so hopefully this is it for sickness for a while!


Kari said...

so glad to hear you are all on the mend. take care of yourself and those sweet baby boys!!