Friday, May 1, 2009

28 weeks

Today marks week 28 of pregnancy which even though early, is still quite an accomplishment. We obviously hope to go further but have to remember to count our blessings too.

I am still in the hospital and it certainly has its ups and downs. The best part is having such close monitoring on the boys. Whenever I get nervous that I'm not feeling them being as active or feel like I'm having contractions, all I have to do is push a button and someone is there to check and reassure me. On the flip side of the coin, there is a constant flow of people that come in the room even when things are going "fine". Someone is there to check your blood pressure and temperature every couple hours, then someone comes in to check fetal monitoring every couple hours (mind you this is throughout the whole night long and the only equipment they can seem to find needs some serious oiling and the squeaking seems to be amplified in the middle of the night), then your hooked up to the non stress test for an hour each morning and night, then you have the doctors coming in to check in with you every morning as early as 6am and again at evening time. Twice a week I go for more specialized tests off of the unit.

All of this on top of having a room mate who ofcourse has her own issues and different cycle of monitoring throughout the day and night and each of us using the bathroom a million times during the night and well you get the picture. My room-mate's IV machine kept wanting attention and proceeded to beep loudly about every hour overnight lastnight and the nurses couldn't figure out how to fix it so neither of us got much sleep. --Again you think with the amount of money they charge for every tylenol, and parking space, etc that they could manage to put funds back into newer machines that are less tempermental. Either way, every time we would drift off, there was another nurse coming in to check either her or I. It sounds crazy to say that I get to lay in bed all day but yet am still utterly exhausted. I feel like I spend the days almost in a fog, I have no idea where the time disappears to, and am feeling ridiculously unproductive. I keep trying to remind myself that in the grand scheme of things, this is such a short time in my life and for the best benefit of the boys.

As far as the boys, they seem to be holding their own. They have been doing pretty well on all the daily fetal monitoring tests and seem to like the bed rest, the braxton hicks contractions have significantly lessened as well which had been stressing Baby B before. We had another doppler test yesterday and Baby A's cord blood flow looks good and Baby B's is still concerning but at least not worse. We are anxiously awaiting Monday's testing which will again look at the blood flow and also their measurements to see if and how much they have grown. It sounds like we'll get an update with the next goal or plan after these results. We would be grateful for continued prayers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holli,
I am thinking about you every day. We miss you so much at work, but know that what you are accomplishing is so much more wonderful. You say you feel unproductive, but wow! this is the most productive you will ever be!! My thoughts and prayers are with the 4 of you.
Love,
Debbie G.

Anonymous said...

Hi Holli,
I miss you tons!!!! You are such a wonderful mother already!!! I can imagine how hard it must be for you to be in bed all the time knowing what you usually do all day!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you...( I tell all of my friends and family to send positive thoughts your way as well!) Love, Cara

Anonymous said...

Hi Holli,

My name is Tracy and I am Julie Baker's sister. I met you once, when we were visiting Julie at work. Julie has been keeping us informed throughout your pregnancy. I just wanted you to know that I think of you and your boys often, and that my prayers are with you all!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Holli! I think about you and the boys everyday. Love, Leigh Anne